Friday, November 01, 2013

How to ACE the NMAT (The Not-so-haggard Way) - PART 2

Now that you have grasp of the whole course of the NMAT, then you are now ready to tackle the subject matters inside NMAT one-by-one. If you reach this part of the article without reading the part I, then you can click here to read it. If you already have, then you may continue.


Tips and Tricks - Part I

First and foremost, read the Practice Sets. This will give you a background of what to expect. And they might really practice you. In my case, it did. Also, try to know your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the fields. In Part I, I chose the ones I think I am strong with, and took the ones I dislike last. My rationale? I think that the easiest part is the best to take first because as you get more correct answers, your rank increases. In my case, I took Quantitative then perceptive acuity, then inductive reasoning, and last, verbal.

a. Verbal - actually, I can't think of a trick in taking this exam. You just have to familiarize yourself on words, because you'll greatly need them for the analogy part. In my case, I have answered some correctly, and some, I'm not sure. However, when it comes to the reading comprehension part, you'll have something to read, then you answer the questions. You can read the selection first, but you can also read the question first, then read the selection., for there are questions like "In paragraph 2, what does the word "happy" mean.", which can save you a great deal of time.

b. Inductive Reasoning - in this part of the exam, you are given a lot of figures, letters, and numbers. This is the so-called IQ test, but not the whole IQ test, I guess. This part of the test can really render your brain paralyzed (another exaggeration), and can put stress on your brain. Well, there's no trick on this part. It tests your brain's ability when it comes to analysis. Just relax, and practice. This is where the practice sets come in handy.

c. Quantitative - well, there has been a joke running around the nursing profession that when you take health-related courses, then you are not good in Math. This joke may be applicable to some, but never-ever underestimate your math skills. On the first part of this exam, you will be bombarded with a lot of algebra. Now, run to your previous books and get the ones involved with college algebra. READ and ANALYZE. Mathematics is not that easy but definitely not impossible to answer. The next part is about graphs and data, so, there's a little hint of statistics here.

All you need is your formulas and your how-to's, and you're set to finish this part very well. (I think that in Part I, I got the highest score in Quantitative. Yay!)

d. Perceptual Acuity - while practicing for the NMAT using the reviewers they provided, this one seems to be the easiest of the subject matters on Part I. This will test your eyes, your powers of concentration, as well as observation. You will be presented with lots of pictures in the first part, where you will identify the image most similar to the original one, and the last part, which will have you identify the statement that is most identical.

Tips here: before going to the venue, go to your nearest sari-sari store and buy 2-3 pieces of chocnut. Why? While looking at your choices on this exam, you might want to eliminate those which you have identified are wrong. Blocking the images that are already deemed wrong will lessen the feeling of confusion regarding the choices.

PART II
Yay! Let's say that you have finished your Part I while taking NMAT, I think that you have your brain somewhat drained right now. Yes, drained. I had mine aching the whole lunch break, and adding the anxiety that you must feel for a week already, then your body and brains are already exhausted by this point.

However, you still have the Part II to answer, right? Just think of your dream, your MD dream, and somewhat, your spirit might be uplifted. Haha. Now, time for Part II.

a. Physics - I was really ignorant when it comes to Physics while I was in high school, and more on my NMAT review. I think that Physics is the hardest part of the examination, and because I think that I won't get any of these questions in this exams, I took it for granted. In short, I opened the first four to five pages in the book, and then, closed it totally. I just read my practice sets (which I don't understand, really.)

But what's surprising is I encountered questions that without further reading in Physics, I can answer. These questions are those which are "formula analysis" questions, which makes you analyze and answer those "inversely/directly proportional" type of questions.

For example, A = B/C + D. Then the choices will be like: C is inversely proportional with A/ B is inversely proportional with A., something like that. So if you analyze them carefully, you might get the answers right.

There are health-related courses that tackle physics in their undergrad years, however, it was both lucky and unlucky for me not to have Physics. I was lucky for I won't be subjected to this really hard subject, but unlucky that I was not able to know most of the concepts while taking the NMAT. (And yeah, it's a miracle. I got Physics as my second-highest scored exam in Part II.)

b. Chemistry - I personally thought that Chemistry will be easy. Yes, it was, while in my self-review. But comes NMAT, I was doomed. I have finished (skimming) all topics in Biochemistry while reviewing, and just stopped in Nuclear Chemistry. However, while I was taking the exams, I noticed that almost none of what I've read appeared in the exam. No tips here. Just review. Well, if you took lots of units of Chemistry in your pre-med, then you're good. But if you just had few (like me), then, you need to push harder.

c. Biology - just like Chemistry, BIOLOGY-was-hard. Talking about geotropism and sorts, well, if you don't have background on Biology and don't have time to review, let's depend on our test taking strategies, shall we? Haha

d. Social Sciences - I think that this subject is the best, both in review and in the exams. This talks about Psychology and Psychiatry most of the time (defense mechanisms, Sigmund Freud and other developmental theories), and some points in anthropology (family, society, Karl Marx, etc.) You can search some websites about social sciences in the internet to prepare for this, or you can wait for the reviewer that I wrote while reading for social sciences. (I'll upload it before your exams, I promise!)

To sum it up, READ, ANSWER AND ANALYZE your Practice Sets. They can be acquired after you pay the registration fee. Read them, and if you encounter a question, answered it correctly, and know the concept, then it's good. However, if you encounter a question and do not know the answer, then it's time to look for that topic in your book and analyze. This might also give you pointers on what to expect on the actual exams. These practice sets are not given because they are required to, but it is for you to practice, and pass the NMAT. Again, if you want to get a high NMAT score, READ, ANSWER, AND ANALYZE your NMAT Practice Sets.

In my review, I just used the NMAT practice sets and my old books. No review centers, no special NMAT reviewers. I also heard others that they have read MCAT reviewers, which is quite hard for an average person like me to buy and read. And, not to brag, without these review centers, I got a 92 percentile rank on the exams. Just imagine the cost of reviewing under these centers. It just takes perseverance and those handy test taking strategies to ace the NMAT.

Well, we have finished our per-subject review of NMAT. If you have questions, feel free to ask below. Now, if you're ready to read further, and lessen your anxieties (a bit), then continue.

Labels: , ,

36 Comments:

At Thursday, April 23, 2015 , Blogger James Abram said...

Thanks for sharing this post to top NMAT! This will help for my nmat review.

 
At Saturday, July 25, 2015 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! will wait for your reviewers. Thank you so much :)))))

 
At Thursday, October 15, 2015 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, do you have the social sciences review? Thanks for taking time ro help others. cadetm10 at gmail

 
At Thursday, October 15, 2015 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, thank you for taking time to help others. Do you have the social sciences review?
I look forward at cadetm 10 at gmail

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2016 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you uploaded your Social Sciences review material? Thank you!

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2017 , Blogger Medicine17 said...

How about the social science review material? Is it already uploaded? Thanks😊

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2017 , Blogger Medicine17 said...

Thanks for the information.. how about social science review material, is it already uploaded? Thanks:)

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2017 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank You for the tips you made in taking the NMAT. Can i have a reviewer for nmat? please email me dianra701@gmail.com i dont know where to upload some reviewers please help

 
At Thursday, November 08, 2018 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads
up! Other then that, fantastic blog!

 
At Saturday, April 20, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! If anyone’s interested for more reviewers, visit this link: https://medicusvii.blogspot.com/2019/04/nmat-reviewers.html

 
At Friday, June 28, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post.

I like to write a little comment to support you.

 
At Friday, June 28, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this article i thought i could also make comment due
to this good post.

 
At Saturday, June 29, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google,
and found that it's truly informative. I?m going to watch out
for brussels. I?ll be grateful if you continue this in future.
Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

 
At Monday, July 01, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I website owner I think the content material here is very excellent,
appreciate it for your efforts.

 
At Monday, July 01, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting subject, thank you for putting up.

 
At Tuesday, July 02, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a very wonderful website, Sword lily I detected it through yahoo.

 
At Wednesday, July 03, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website daily,
if so then you will without doubt obtain fastidious know-how.

 
At Wednesday, July 03, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful ..
Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I'm glad to search out a lot of helpful info here in the put up, we want develop more strategies
in this regard, thank you for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, July 03, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board
and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something
back and aid others like you aided me.

 
At Friday, July 05, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to draft you the tiny observation to finally thank you so much as before relating to the breathtaking
opinions you have shown on this website.
It has been so open-handed of you giving extensively precisely what a few people would have sold as an e-book to earn some money on their own, notably
now that you might have tried it in the event you desired.
The strategies as well worked like a easy way to fully grasp someone else have similar eagerness like my personal own to understand great deal more regarding
this issue. Certainly there are millions of more pleasant times in the future for individuals who see your website.

 
At Saturday, July 06, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its fastidious dialogue about this piece of writing at this
place at this website, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at
this place.

 
At Sunday, July 07, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across
this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.

I hope to give something back and help others like you helped
me.

 
At Tuesday, July 09, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your website offered us with helpful information to paintings on. You've done a formidable activity and our entire
neighborhood will be thankful to you.

 
At Thursday, July 11, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so awesome! I don't think I've read anything like that before.
So wonderful to find someone with a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter.
Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is something that's
needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

 
At Thursday, July 11, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared
to be on the web the easiest thing to keep in mind of.

I say to you, I definitely get irked while other people think about worries that they plainly do
not recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , other folks can take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

 
At Saturday, July 20, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd without a
doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll
settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with
my Facebook group. Talk soon!

 
At Saturday, July 20, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asking questions are genuinely pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything
fully, but this article presents pleasant understanding yet.

 
At Saturday, July 20, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how
could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable
deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

 
At Saturday, July 20, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the net to find out more about the issue
and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

 
At Sunday, July 21, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay google is my world beater assisted me to find this great
site!

 
At Tuesday, July 23, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does building a well-established website such as yours require a massive amount work?
I'm brand new to blogging however I do write in my journal
everyday. I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and thoughts
online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations
or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

 
At Wednesday, July 24, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.This post was extremely remarkable, particularly since
I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last Friday.

 
At Friday, July 26, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, You've done an excellent job. I'll certainly
digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be
benefited from this website.

 
At Friday, August 30, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was able to find good advice from your content.

 
At Saturday, August 31, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into
starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required
to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty
penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

 
At Monday, September 09, 2019 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Finally I got a web site from where I know how to really obtain useful facts
regarding my study and knowledge.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home