Friday, September 14, 2012

10 Not-so-JOLOGS ways to SUSYAL-ly Enjoy your Overpriced Coffee

So I just gave you my first Overpriced Non-coffee Coffee experience, and I have told you that I have repeated these experience again and again, right? So now, I consider myself as a Overpriced Non-coffee Coffee expert (haha. Kidding!). 

Ohhhh yeah!
Photo Credit
For first timers, the first thing they will ask if they're going to try these overpriced coffee, (or non-coffee Coffee [am I annoying by using this word? Haha]), is "what would I do when I enter such shop? What would I order? What would I expect?" So, as an expert (really, expert?) for being in these shops, here are some not-so-jologs tips for beginners that I can give you:


Pre-arrival:

1. Make sure to bring whole amount for you to buy your coffee. We need to look rich in front of these people. (Haha..) Not only that, but you might also need this one when you want to try their food, like cakes, doughnuts, and the like.

2. Make sure to bring your camera (or iPhone with Instagram) with you! You might never want to miss the experience without a picture with your overpriced coffee! :)

3. Search the internet for your prospective order. If you're health conscious, other sites offer the calorie count of each drink.

Arrival to shop:

4. Never fail to greet/smile to the barista back if he/she greets you. First, you will seem nice not only to the barista, but also the people around you. Plus, not all these people do this. Extra pogi/ganda points! You will also reduce the risk of the barista ruining your drink/doing something to your drink, as you seem nice! :) (or even add something good to your drink!)

5.  Get your seat first. You need to have a place to take a picture, right? (haha) You can also do some productive things in your place, considering that they usually have free Wi-Fi. You can also do your reviewing there, with the amazing ambiance, the smell of coffee (which might help for you to stay alert), and the chance to take a picture of your books plus your overpriced coffee!!

Definitely not my doing.
Photo Credit
6. Order. As you have chosen your drink in number 3, you go for your order. If you want non-coffee or mild ones, you can go for Frappe (frappuccino) or the others below it. The others are almost absolutely coffee-based. There are three sizes (in the PH), which are tall (12 fl.oz.), grande (16 fl.oz.) and venti (20 fl.oz.). Nice-to-know: Grande is the Italian for "large", and Venti is the Italian for "twenty". Ate, pengeng venti! (O diba, may lahing Italian pala ang numbers natin!) Don't forget to use the whole money from number 1.

And, don't forget to give your name. If your name is Maria Constantina Gabrielle C. Constantino, then, you can give "Gab" for a better call (yes, they will call your name so loud! Weeeee, exposure!). Others also give wacky names, which really catch attention. For example, one customer gave "Free" as his name. And when the barista called out for the name, he said. "One Chocolate Chip Cream venti for Free!".. With all eyes on the barista afterwards.

7. DON'T THROW YOUR RECEIPT. Don't be so annoyed with the price of your drink and throw your receipt immediately. As your name will be called based on number 6, so as your receipt, for verification purposes, so don't throw it immediately. You will have it stamped by the barista, and have it framed, so you can always remember your first overpriced coffee experience.

While consuming:

8. There are condiments available on the counter, which include cream, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and many more powders, plus straw and tissue. Remember these things, they will be of much use later on.

9. Enjoy your drink. If you have ordered frappe, then, really savor your drink. If ever you have consumed it fast, then, the condiments in number 9 will help you. One of my favorite drinks, Chocolate Chip Cream, (I'm not the one on number 6!) will leave ice after I consumed it quickly. One coffee aficionado told me that the technique here is to put some of the condiments in number 8, mix it with the ice, and then enjoy your drink. Viola! Instant tasty ice!

10. If ever you think that you are running out of juice (even though you went to 1 sip per hour, haha), try to sip slowly to prevent the most shaming "bubbly" sound your drink might produce. Well, you may think that it's fine, but for other people, it might not.


Well, there you go! Some of these things are based from actual experience, but some are just from others' advice and ideas. Well, don't worry about your first overpriced coffee experience, just do what you want to do. And don't fret about the price, it is always good to treat yourself of something nice and pricey. :)

Labels: ,

37 Comments:

At Friday, September 14, 2012 , Blogger denggoy said...

When I go to Starbucks, I always go with Mocha Frappe.. Tapos 'pag nakatambay ka dun, talagang "it's social climbing at its finest". hehe. ayun.

 
At Friday, September 14, 2012 , Blogger ventocoseuss said...

Hehe.. Yessir, social climbing at its finest! It's really more fun in the Philippines!

 
At Friday, September 14, 2012 , Blogger ignored_genius said...

hehehe, sa ngayon naman hindi na rin siguro masyado social climbing ang pagkape sa mga ganyan. Adik na talaga siguro ang pinoy sa kape. Hindi na lang nga blend 45, great taste at nescafe ang instant coffee eh. Sobrang dami na. kopiko, cafe puro at kung ano ano pa. hehehehe. Saka patunay na lang din siguro yan na mapera talaga ang Pinoy. Masyado lang natin kinakawawa siguro sarili natin at binababaan ang pagtingin sa sarili.

Kita mo, paglabas ng iphone 5 e hyped na hyped at nakapila na sila(di ako kasali, never pa ko bumili ng apple product, at di rin ako bumibili ng cellphone.hehehe). Tapos ticket ng Maroon 5, matagal pa ubos na kahit mahal ang ticket. Mayaman ang maraming Pinoy, kunwari lang mahirap. May social climber, meron din namang kabaligtaran, kunwari walang pera pero marami pala nakatago. Ano kaya tawag sa kabaligtaran ng social climber? hehehe. Libre mo naman kami vento, kahit isang venti. LOLS

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Anonymous Franc Ramon said...

This post is very entertaining. For some reason I rarely visit starbucks now and prefer to try other coffee places instead. Maybe it's starbucks overdose.

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

do i sense sarcasm here? haha!

hindi ako umiinom ng kape kaya hindi ako nagpupunta sa mga ganitong lugar. not my kind of place. no offense meant. :)

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger ventocoseuss said...

Hahaha.. Well, di ko din masyadong type pumunta. Hindi man totoong expert ako. Nag-eexpert-expertan lang. :D Nandon lang ako pag may nag-imbita. Hehe

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger ventocoseuss said...

Haha. Mapera ang Pinoy. Mas mapera ang namumuno sa Pinoy. hahaha. XD

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Anonymous Justin | Hari ng Lakbay said...

We are collecting Starbucks Tumbler from each country we visit. Unfortunately, Vietnam doesn't have Starbuck. :( Btw, natawa ako kay 'Free', magawa nga yan minsan hehehe

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger Budget Biyahera said...

I love your humor! I will surely remember your points when I go grab a drink at Starbucks again.. :P

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger ignored_genius said...

hehehe pero meron talagang mga social climbers na ginagawang status symbol ang kaliit liitang bagay na basta ba makapagpapasosyal sa kanila. hehehehe :P

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger papaleng said...

You made my day, bro. Good tips that I can apply into practice the next time na papasok ako sa Starbucks.. Twice pa lang akong nadaya sa presyo ng kape nila. Masarap pa at mura ang kapeng barako..LOL

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Anonymous dimaks | The Urban Walker said...

IF you can, just buy a coffee maker and blend your own coffee at home. But then, time and again it is not bad to treat oneself, as you mentioned.

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2012 , Blogger RM Bulseco said...

Hahahaha! Sarcasm for the win!

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous Mel Cole said...

i would rather enjoy my starbucks coffee on the road rather than be surrounded with totyal people whom I don't know. that way, i can enjoy my coffee better.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous Teresa Martinez said...

If I have money to splurge, I might consider some socializing in this environment but practicality always get the better of me. Funny observations by the way.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

the sad part is that some starbucks charge for wi-fi in the form of a prepaid card.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous FoxyReign said...

I never fail to take pictures whenever I eat or drink somewhere. So does taking Starbucks cups whenever I drink coffee make me jologs?

Haha.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous pinoy humor said...

I must confess, I've been to a lot of coffee shops but never to Starbucks. I'm sure I can afford a cup of coffee but I get so intimidated by all the pasosyals there. :D

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Blogger Raine Pal said...

Dami kong tawa dito sa post na eto. Halata namang daming natamaan. Actually I love coffee kaya lang di pa ako nakapasok sa STARBUCKS na yan. Ayaw ko kasing mabansagan na FEELING SOSYAL..maka hawak lang sa baso at maka pa'picture ayun upload agad taz caption: BEEN HERE AT STARBUCKS..LOVE IT! ^_^.. buy na lang ako kape sa sari2 store mura lang PHp6 lang masarap pah. LOL ^_^

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Blogger Simplymarrimye said...

Patambay-tambay...
Pakape-kape lang...
I think, this liking for coffee even if it costs some bucks has become a culture already. The urge to go and have a grande of mocha frap in Starbucks is addictive for some.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

coffee/tea drinking is a social thing for me, I am not a regular coffee drinker, I only drink with friends for chat, but my friend would always invite me to go to any starbucks' other competitors..

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous Ness said...

Haha! Ang dami kong tawa sa post mo.

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2012 , Anonymous jsncruz said...

Why is the last "bubble sound" feared? It's an excuse to buy another drink! :P Cool, entertaining read :)

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

haha ang kulit... don't forget to take advantage of wi-fi and update your status hahahaha

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Blogger Lady Patchy said...

true, this coffee shop is overpriced.Me and hubby were never a fan of coffee shop. we rather drin coffee in the house. "FREE" name is a good ide, ahaha ,lol, "One Chocolate Chip Cream venti for Free!"

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Anonymous Les said...

Whenever we go to Starbucks, it's always to go. I don't like to spend an hour finishing a frappe :) and taking advantage of wi-fi, unless I have a deadline with my online work and sira ang internet sa bahay.. :) Very entertaining post ito.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Anonymous Journey Ni Ikoy said...

Your so funny, well I usually go to these over-priced coffee shops during pay day just to fee good or maybe rich or look goo to others =))

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Anonymous Shirgie Scf said...

Coffee is really literally not my cup of tea, so I am not affected with this, but nice advice...

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 , Blogger Weng Zaballa said...

hahahaha , may tama ka!!! but I spend quite a number of times at Starbucks Trinoma before... nung naka-enroll pa ako sa masteral kasi free wi-fi pero nung tumagal may bayad na rin. so tumigil na rin kami, sa bahay na lang gawa ng papers then kung group, usap na lang thru chat or emails, habang umiinom ng Kopiko or Nescafe 3 in 1 haha. na-try nyo na ba ang Koppicino, masarap di ba? lolz

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2012 , Anonymous Alex said...

i think not all Starbucks branches charge a fee for using their Wi-fi. Here in davao, specifically in abreeza,it's free. :-)

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Natawa ko sa free -- winner!!! I only frequent Starbucksduring Christmas time for the Toffee Nut and Peppermint Frappe. I actually prefer The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf! :)

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2012 , Blogger Dems said...

It took me a year or so to outgrow this, especially the free planner (spent more or less 3k on my 1st one lol) Sadly my friends still prefer to go here to have coffee, kahit nakakasawa na :/

And I don't understand why not make the wifi, free :|

 
At Thursday, September 20, 2012 , Blogger Ron Leyba said...

LOL. Great humorous post. Love it. Reflects the real situation in real life. Ahahhaa.

 
At Thursday, September 20, 2012 , Blogger markpogi said...

For me, I stay as long as I can while sipping my expensive drink. After that, I fill it with milk making my stay more good. :D

 
At Friday, September 21, 2012 , Blogger SpecialEducationPhilippines said...

From the name of the blog, I thought it was about what you thought about the different toilets in the Philippines. Silly me. Anyway, I like to stay in Starbucks when I'm meeting with girlfriends and we want to chat for a long time.

 
At Saturday, September 29, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Love it. Have never really experienced Starbucks allmy life. Quite fearful of the sosyals lounging. Kapeng barako lang ang peg ko everyday. Unli refills pa at unli wifidito sa bahay. ;D

 
At Friday, October 05, 2012 , Anonymous emely vercide said...

i love this story! I laugh my lungs out. So funny!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home